We’re selecting candidates around the United States at all levels of government. These candidates exemplify what America is about. Our candidates are from diverse backgrounds in terms of identity but also in terms of geography and culture, because we want to amplify the message of progressivism across all of America.
We're very proud to introduce our candidates!
Jennifer Carroll Foy for Virginia State Delegate
Both as a candidate and as a person, Jennifer is nothing short of extraordinary. She's a public defender who has created a foundation for foster and orphan children, and she fosters children herself. She dedicates her heart and soul to her community and to those less fortunate than her.
Now, she's running for Virginia State Delegate. Here are Jennifer's positions on the issues:
- Education: Jennifer sees investment in public education as crucially important in the war on poverty. She believes we need to increase teacher salaries and invest more in early childhood schools and programs.
- Women's Rights: Jennifer vigorously supports equal pay for equal work, and will advocate for unrestricted access to affordable care, including reproductive services, for women.
- Criminal Justice Reform: Jennifer believes in smart-on-crime initiatives to push our system towards rehabilitation and away from draconian and unnecessarily harsh sentencing. She wants to end the school-to-prison pipeline, decriminalize marijuana and treat rather than detain people with substance abuse issues and mental illnesses. Check out her campaign at https://www.jennifercarrollfoy.org/
LAuren Underwood for Congress, Illinois' 14Th District
Lauren is a registered nurse and Obama alum who has committed her life to public service. She's seeking a seat in Congress in order to boost northern Illinois' stagnant local economy by bringing new jobs in science and technology back to her district.
Lauren also intends to fight corruption in our Capitol by supporting legislation around transparency and governmental integrity.
As a career public servant at HHS, Lauren helped implement the Affordable Care Act — broadening access for those on Medicare, improving healthcare quality and reforming private insurance. Lauren is seeking to reduce healthcare costs, spread access to quality care, and fight the opioid epidemic.
Lauren is flat-out inspiring and will make for a wonderful Congressmember.
Andy Kim for Congress, New Jersey's 3rd District
Andy Kim is a Rhodes Scholar and career public servant. He worked in the Obama White House, serving as a strategic advisor to Generals David Petraeus and John Allen and fighting the global war against ISIS. Andy is an incredibly brilliant and dedicated person, and would be an incredible Congressmember.
What separates Andy from the pack is beyond pedigree. Andy Kim is as down-to-earth as he is brilliant. He's truly in it for the right reasons. Andy wants to see a government that represents the interests of the people, not just the special interests and the wealthy.
And he's in the perfect district for it. He's running against one of the co-sponsors of Trumpcare, Tom MacArthur. In fact, Tom MacArthur is often credited for saving the AHCA in the House. Let's elect Andy Kim and send Tom MacArthur to his early retirement. (and Healthcare.gov!)
Vi Lyles for Mayor of Charlotte, NC
Vi Lyles has dedicated over 40 years of her life to public service, and has guided Charlotte on various developments including Charlotte's affordable housing plan and the Mecklenburg County's Minority and Women's Business Enterprise Program for small businesses. She is currently the Vice Mayor of Charlotte and has been on the City Council since 2012.
Amongst all her accomplishments, her plans are even more impressive. She has crafted a seven-point plan that includes the following:
1. Increase the minimum wage for city workers to $15 an hour
2. 5,000 units of affordable housing in three years
3. Building community advisory groups to create dialogue and build trust between the police department and Charlotte's citizens
4. A "ban the box" requirement for all contractors who work for the city
5. A program to promote governmental hiring of low-income residents
6. An apprenticeship program that focuses on training and development for people with barriers to employment, with a focus on diversion for adjudicated youth.
We're thrilled to support Vi Lyles in her upcoming election. She won the primary, ousting the incumbent mayor, and is prepared to become mayor of Charlotte come November 7, 2017. Please join us and support Vi Lyles!
Donte Tanner for Virginia State Assembly ("Delegate"), District 40
Strengthen Our Public Schools: Fairfax and Prince William Counties are home to some of the best public schools in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Donte will fight to ensure public schools stay public, that they are well funded, class sizes are kept low, and we invest in our teachers to attract and retain the best educators in the Commonwealth.
Independent Redistricting Reform: With our current district drawings, politicians in Richmond are deciding who gets elected, not the voters. Our current system encourages partisan bickering, political grandstanding, and not getting things done for Virginians. Donte believes it’s time that the voters finally get their right to elect their representatives back. Donte will fight for independent redistricting reform to ensure we draw districts that promote problem solving, bi-partisan solutions, and putting people before politics.
Ban Personal Use of Campaign Funds: The current system in Virginia allows campaigns to spend their funds freely, on anything they like. This has opened the floodgates to a lot of elected officials using their campaign accounts as personal slush funds -- steak dinners, filling up on gas, hotels, concert tickets, etc. Donte will fight to bring integrity back to the political process in Virginia by ending the use of campaign funds for personal use.
Donte's district has been Republican and unopposed for ten years. Hillary won this district. It's going to be a tough fight, but it can be won.
Here's what Donte said about Resurgent Left:
Thanks to Resurgent Left, we were able to hire our Field Director earlier than planned. This means we can knock on more doors and talk to more voters in our district. We are building a grassroots campaign, and thanks to your gracious donation, we can now jump-start our canvassing operation!
Schuyler VanValkenburg for Virginia State Assembly ("Delegate") District 72
Schuyler resides in a district that has been Republican and unopposed by the Democratic Party for ten years. Hillary won the district by 4% and the incumbent Republican recently dropped out of the race. This district can and must be taken by Democrats. And Schuyler has a fantastic plan to do it.
Schuyler wants to focus his politics on fixing our democracy and tackle the following issues: jobs, education, equality, civic engagement and community development. Specifically, he wants to:
- Fight gerrymandering and voter suppression
- End tax breaks for special interests
- Promote an infrastructure bill
- Provide school funding to raise teacher salaries, better school quality, and update curricula for the 21st century
- End institutionalized racism by reforming the criminal justice system
- Fight to end the gender pay gap and promote child leave policies
He also wants to make sure that Virginia expands Medicaid under Obamacare, particularly in the wake of the Trumpcare fiasco. We're proud to have Schuyler's back and look forward to seeing him win the 72nd district of the Virginia House of Delegates. His primary is on June 13, 2017 and the general election is November 7, 2017.
The Resurgent Left helped us prepare to hire a Field Director in June and rent office space by the beginning of July, both of which were ahead of schedule. Can't thank you enough, Resurgent Left!
Mike Levin for Congress, California's District 49
Mike Levin is an environmental attorney and has extensive political experience at the local, state and federal levels. He resides in Darrell Issa's district, one of Donald Trump's closest allies in Congress. It's a district that Trump lost to Hillary by 7.4%, and Issa won the last election by a mere 1,621 votes. It's a seat that we have to win to retake the house.
Mike confronted Darrell for his environmentally destructive record. The video, for your enjoyment:
Mike's campaign is focused on the following:
- Sustainable Energy and Environmental Protection
- Campaign Finance Reform
- Healthcare for All
- A World-Class Education System
- Immigration Reform
- Jobs for the Future
- Women and LGBT Rights
We're so excited about Mike's campaign. Check out our interview with him, and get involved today!